Sunday 20 March 2011

We are who our playlists say we are.

What would you think if you saw this poster in a friends room?
Prepare to see me naked.
According to Steven Levy (2006), sharing your iPod playlist with others has the same effect as standing nude infront of them.
If someone was to sift through my iTunes library they would probably think that I had music bilpolar. Perhaps I do. Discover my mixed personalities as I randomly sift through my ipod.
First off the mark - the old school beach bopper comes out with "Little Deuce Coupe - The Beach Boys".
Next I'd like you to meet the cowgirl who listens to "Not Ready To Make Nice - The Dixie Chicks".
The mellow, acoustic guitar loving girl in me comes out whenever I hear "Rodeo Clowns - Jack Johnson".
Lastly,  I turn into a hopeless romantic, swaying as I hear "Fever - Michael Buble".
I judged and analysed myself as I realised how varied and sometimes bizzare my taste in music can be. God forbid what you must think! I have exposed myself.
Cambridge University’s Jason Rentfrow suggests that by allowing others to view your playlists may "reinforce stereotypes and, potentially social prejudices." (Cnet News 2009).
Perhaps sharing a music playlist really is the same as standing nude infront of a crowd.



References
Cnet News 2009. What your iPod playlist says about you. Accessed 21 March 2011 at http://news.cnet.com/8301-17852_3-10315679-71.html 
 
Levy, S. 2006. The perfect thing: How the iPod shuffles commerce, culture and coolness. New York: Simon & Schuster Paperbacks

No comments:

Post a Comment